Monday, August 28, 2006

Two poles and some dental floss.....

I've never been a person who likes knitting with BIG needles. To me, they are like knitting dental floss with two telephone poles! Any thing bigger than a size 10 needles and I wave the white flag of surrender!! I don't mean to insult anyone here, they're just not my thing. I know many who love those #13's and can make a sweater in an afternoon, I'm just not one of those. Well, I am invited to be a guest in my friend's home in Seattle next month. And like mothers always tell you, never go to someone's house empty handed! I thought the perfect gift is something handmade! I saw this basic throw called "Dreamy" on the Knitpicks site and thought why not?? The yarn looks nice and soft and it will be light, yet warm. I chose a color, placed the order, and......

Well, it's made on a #19 telephone pole (oops, I mean knitting needle)!!! I sat down this adternoon to South Pacific in concert with my favorite Broadway singer of all time (Brian Stokes Mitchell) and decided I have a month to make this throw, let's get the show on the road! And, I'm not sure....casting on was a chore, and not that it's any complicated pattern, garter stitch all rows (yawn) , I can't tell if I like it. It's furry and lacey and I just don't know.

I have decided to work on it this evening and after getting a hunk done, then decide. I will snap a picture tomorrow so you can see it, but, I don't know.......

Maybe matching cabled mufflers might be better???? I think I'll start cooking supper, and then decide.

*****Later that afternoon.......it wasn't getting any better.....and when Mark came home, he said "what is THAT" and when I told him a blanket, he made a face and said that isn't very nice......and that is EXACTLY what I was thinking...... so the project has been scrubbed. The yarn is in a box waiting to be returned and I will NEVER knit with SURI DREAM FROM KNITPICKS again. I could have gotten better yarn at AC Moore!!! This was definitely a case of you get what you pay for!!!....Lesson learned! Now I need another idea for a gift..hmmm......